[R] Possible buglet (wart ?) of odfWeave 0.7.6 (with workaround)

Max max.kuhn at pfizer.com
Fri Aug 29 03:37:24 CEST 2008

Emmanuel,

On 8/12/08 1:13 PM, "Emmanuel Charpentier" <emm.charpentier at free.fr> wrote:

> Then lightning struck : the picture files were named an follows :
> "content_",  serial number, chunk name, ".eps" ; it occured to me that
> OpenOffice 2.4.1 (as packaged in Debian) displayed a "Read error" *when
> the chunk name had accented characters in it* (my system works in UTF8).
> Plain ASCII chunk names work OK.

Since we use Sweave directly and that is the naming convention that it uses
for image files. Once you open the document in OpenOffice, it sometimes
renames the image files that are stored internally (in some versions of OO).

> I do not know ODF specification well enough to be sure that this is an
> odfWeave problem (some chunk name mangling might be necessary) rather
> than an OpenOffice "infelicity" (non-implementation of a
> specification-requested feature) : checking with another ODF-compliant
> word processor might be useful, but I don't have any on hand.

I think that this is an OpenOffice issue. Look at the last code chunk in:

demoFile <- system.file(
                        "examples",
                        "testCases.odt",
                        package ="odfWeave")

The code chunk is entirely Chinese characters. Apart from the current
encoding issues with odfWeave and XML (on Windows only), this code chunk
works fine. If I add fig = TRUE and generate a plot, I get the same issue
you described (using NeoOffice and OpenOffice). odfWeave can deal with these
characters in code and in code chunk names.

I agree that it *should* work since XML documents should be fully UTF-8
compatible. I did a quick search of there open bugs, but I didn't see
anything. You should document the issue and submit a bug report.

Max