[R] significance of random effects in poisson lmer

Wilson, Mark mark.wilson at ucc.ie
Fri Aug 29 18:06:53 CEST 2008

Thanks very much Greg,

Actually, that was every bit as helpful as I had hoped for, possibly
even a little more so! The response was very quick, for which I am
grateful, and not only did I understand it, but it also succeeded in
reassuring me that I had't just grasped the wrong end of the stick. I am
greatly heartened by the fact that my explanation of what I was trying
to do made sense to you. Marvelous resource that it is, R can be
intimidating to beginners, and as someone just learning how to use mixed
models I frequently feel as if I am way in over my head. I had more or
less settled on option 6 as an intermediate solution while I waited to
see if there was anything more comprehensive I could do. I think I can
live without knowing more about the effect that Site and Cluster have on
bird species richness. I just have to hope the reviewers of my paper
will be able to.

I also agree with you that Doug Bates and others who have built (and are
continuing to build) the statistical infrastructure within R, which has
revolutionized the way that thousands of people do and think about
statistics, are doing a fantastic job. If I had the funds, I'd give
serious consideration to option 3 below. As it is, I look forward to
struggling to keep up with their achievements!

Best wishes,

Mark