[R] model II regression - how do I do it?

Michael Grant Michael.Grant at Colorado.EDU
Fri Aug 29 20:34:39 CEST 2008

Dear Danilo:

Here is one approach with the formal reference being:

Computational Statistics & Data Analysis 23 ( 1997 ) 355-372
COMPUTATIONAL
STATISTICS
& DATA ANALYSIS
Generalization of the geometric mean
functional relationship
Norman R. Draper, Yonghong (Fred) Yang
Department of Statistics, 1210 West Dayton Street, Madison, WI 53706-1685, USA
Received February 1995; revised February 1996

Here is the S version of their program (for two predictor variables):

Appendix

The Splus code has been used to specify the weight functions and fit the model:
Specify the weight function:
weight < - function(y,x 1,x2,b0,b 1,b2)
{
pred <-b0+b l*x 1 ÷b2*x2
parms <-abs(b 1"b2)^(1/3)
(y-pred)/parms
}
Fit the model
gmfit < -nls(~weight(y,x 1,x2,b0,b 1,b2),
observe,list("starting value"))

Hope this helps.
MCG