[R] model II regression - how do I do it?

Mark Difford mark_difford at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Aug 29 22:09:19 CEST 2008

Hi Dylan,

>> While this topic is fresh, are there any compelling reasons to use Model
>> II
>> regression?

The fact that it is the type of regression used in principal component
analysis makes it a compelling method. Compelling reason? It is used to take
account of measurement errors in both y _and_ x. Usually
practioners/analysts would sidestep this by putting what is measured with
least error on the x-axis and regress y on that. For instance, in doing
calibration curves in nutrient analysis where the analyte is measured using
a spec. Then the spec reading goes on x. I can't tell you how often I have
seen analysts put the (usually) inaccurately determined analyte on x and the
spec reading on y.

HTH, Mark.