[R] Large data sets with R (binding to hadoop available?)

Avram Aelony aavram at mac.com
Fri Aug 29 22:36:02 CEST 2008

Hi Martin,

Sorry for the late reply.  I realize this might now be straying too
far from r-help, if there is a better forum for this topic (R use
with Hadoop) please let me know.

I agree it would indeed be great to leverage Hadoop via R syntax or R
itself.  A first step is figuring out how computations could be
translated into map and reduce steps.  I am beginning to see efforts
in this direction:

http://ml-site.grantingersoll.com/index.php?title=Incubator_proposal
http://www.cs.stanford.edu/people/ang//papers/nips06-
mapreducemulticore.pdf
http://cwiki.apache.org/MAHOUT/

Per Wikipedia, "A mahout is a person who drives an elephant".  It
would be nice if PIG and R either played well together or adopted
each other's strengths (in driving the Hadoop elephant)!

Avram