[R] RODBC - problems connecting to oracle through linux

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Dec 1 16:17:02 CET 2008

On Fri, 28 Nov 2008, Simon Collins wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm presently trying to connect to Oracle through RODBC / UnixODBC on linux
> (Red Hat 5). I've successfully connected through the easysoft drivers but the
> trial license has run out and I'm trying to connect via the default Oracle
> 11G driver. However I'm getting the following error
>
>> library(RODBC)
>> setwd (paste("/home/oracle/scripts/R"))
>> channel <- odbcConnect("test", uid="prod", pwd="passwd")
>
> *** caught segfault ***
> address (nil), cause 'memory not mapped'
>
> Traceback:
> 1: .Call(C_RODBCDriverConnect, as.character(connection), id,
> as.integer(believeNRows))
> 2: odbcDriverConnect(st, ...)
> 3: odbcConnect("test", uid = "prod", pwd = "passwd")
> aborting ...
>
> The below shows the changes in the odbcinst.ini file.
>

> [ORACLE]
> Description             = Easysoft ODBC Oracle Driver
> #Driver         = /usr/local/easysoft/oracle/libesoracle.so
> Driver          = /u01/app/oracle/product/11.1.0/db_1/lib/libsqora.so.11.1
> #Setup          = /usr/local/easysoft/oracle/libesoraclesetup.so
> DontDLClose             = 1
> FileUsage               = 2
>

> Can anyone point me to what I'm doing wrong?

The short answer is no, but running under gdb and getting a backtrace will
show what is going wrong.

My experience suggestst that this is almost certainly a bug in the ODBC
driver.  (RODBC asks the driver for more info than most applications, and
that often stresses badly written drivers.)  So it is very likely that you
are doing nothing wrong, but one of your tools is letting you down.