[R] Problem with tcl/tk and Rcmdr - urgent help required

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Tue Dec 2 16:05:13 CET 2008

Dear Ben,

It seems clear that the problem is in loading the tcltk package. To confirm
that, does library(tcltk) fail?

I'm not very knowledgeable about Mac OS X. I do have a MacBook, with OS X
10.5, however, and encountered no problems installing and running the Rcmdr
package. Have you seen the R Commander installation instructions for Mac OS
X 10.4, at
<http://socserv.mcmaster.ca/jfox/Misc/Rcmdr/installation-notes.html>? If
not, maybe something there will help.

I'm copying this response to Rob Goedman <goedman at mac.com>, who has provided
help before.

Regards,
 John

------------------------------
John Fox, Professor
Department of Sociology
McMaster University
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
web: socserv.mcmaster.ca/jfox

On
> Behalf Of beniamino
> Sent: December-02-08 7:25 AM
> To: r-help at r-project.org
> Subject: [R] Problem with tcl/tk and Rcmdr - urgent help required
>

> Hello everyone,
>
> i have been searching the whole day, trying ANY solution offered by the
> internet and before headbanging against the wall would like to try asking
> for your help.
>
> As many others, i am haveing problems loading the Rcmdr package with
Macbook
> running Tiger 10.4.11. X11 version updated to the last one after having
> manually installed.
>
> I have also installed (obviously) the Rcmdr package with all dependencies.
>
> However (damn) i keep having the following answer to the library (rcmdr)
> command:
>
> > library (Rcmdr)
> Carico il pacchetto richiesto: tcltk
...)
> :
>   impossibile caricare libreria condivisa

'/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.8/Resources/library/tcltk/libs/i
3
> 86/tcltk.so':

dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.8/Resources/library/tcltk/