[R] Installation of RCurl Windows binary package from BioC extra repos (was Re: [BioC] Rcurl 0.8-1 update for bioconductor 2.7)

rdb20+ at pitt.edu rdb20+ at pitt.edu
Tue Dec 2 15:17:43 CET 2008

Roger,

I had success installing RCurl per Patrick's instructions.

I also got DAVIDQuery to install and run correctly but I had to run R CMD
INSTALL DAVIDQuery from a cygwin terminal after 1) I replaced cygwin's
make program v3.81 with the same version patched for windows from the
mingw project. Make has stopped supporting windows path-names as of v
3.81. (see http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2006-07/msg00008.html)
2) I had to replace the perl used by cygwin to the port provided by
ActiveState in c:\Perl\bin (see
http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/help/02a/3915.html).

NOTE: I tried using the R GUI to install DAVIDQuery but it reported:
> utils:::menuInstallLocal()
updating HTML package descriptions
> library("DAVIDQuery")
Error in library("DAVIDQuery") :
  'DAVIDQuery' is not a valid package -- installed < 2.0.0?

NOTE: I tried to use the windows terminal but it reported:
'make' is not recognized as an internal or external c
operable program or batch file.

c:\Users\boycerd\Downloads>R CMD INSTALL DAVIDQuery
installing to 'c:/PROGRA~1/R/R-28~1.0/library'

'mv' is not recognized as an internal or external com
operable program or batch file.
'make' is not recognized as an internal or external c
operable program or batch file.
*** Installation of DAVIDQuery failed ***

Removing 'c:/PROGRA~1/R/R-28~1.0/library/DAVIDQuery'

hope it helps,
-rdb