[R] logical inconsistency

John C Nash nashjc at uottawa.ca
Sun Dec 7 07:08:17 CET 2008

This actually goes back a very long way. Peter is right to remind us
that "optimizers"  (in the sense of compilers) can corrupt algorithms
that are well-designed. Optimizing in tests is something some of us have
fought for nearly 40 years, but compiler writers don't do much
floating-point computation -- they sometimes save a few microseconds of
computer time for many days and weeks of human time designing around
such silliness. It is worse than a "bug" in that the code to work around
the optimization can be very complicated and arcane -- and may not port
across architectures. Clearly a program should execute as the code
instructs, and not as a compiler designer decides to reinterpret it.
Nevertheless, with a fairly large offset of 16.0 or 256.0 I have never
seen such a test fail -- and it can port across different precision and
different radix arithmetics.  However, I must say I tend to prefer to
turn off compile optimization and try to keep my code clean i.e,
manually optimized if possible. I also save the two sides of the test to
separate variables, though I can guess that some compilers would corrupt
that pretty easily.

Note that historically this issue didn't upset early codes where
optimization was manual, then became an issue to watch out for on each
implementation when we computed locally, and now could be a nasty but
hidden trap with grid and cloud computing when algorithms may be running
on a number of different systems, and possibly controlling critical
systems.

JN