[R] Pre-model Variable Reduction

Mark Difford mark_difford at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Dec 9 16:13:34 CET 2008

Hi All,

I beg to differ with Ravi Varadhan's perspective. While it is true that
principal component analysis does not itself do variable selection, it is an
important method for pointing the way to what to select. This is what the
methods in the subselect package rely on. (One of its authors was I believe
a student of Jolliffe's). For a modern perspective on this, see the
following paper:

Debashis Paul, Eric Bair, Trevor Hastie and Robert Tibshirani:
"Preconditioning" for feature selection and regression in high-dimensional
problems We show that supervised principal components followed by a variable
selection procedure is an effective approach for variable selection in very
high dimension. Annals of Statistics 36(4), 2008, 1595-1618.

http://www-stat.stanford.edu/~hastie/Papers/Preconditioning_Annals.pdf

Regards, Mark.