[R] no implicit call of the print function within loops?

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Tue Dec 9 19:12:13 CET 2008

The general rule is that when you type something at the command line and that something returns a value, if you do not tell it what to do with the value, and the value has not been made invisible, then the value is printed.

If you do:

> tmp <- eval(exp)

You will not see the output printed since you tell it what to do with the return value from eval, but without the assignment, it is not told what to do and so does the print.  This is not unique to the eval function, but true for anything that returns a visible value, compare:

> 3 + 4
> x <- 3 + 4
> (x <- 3 + 4)

The implicit print does not happen inside of loops, batch processing, inside of functions, and probably a few other places.

Hope this helps,

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center