[R] glm error message when using family Gamma(link="inverse")

John Sorkin jsorkin at grecc.umaryland.edu
Tue Dec 9 21:27:47 CET 2008

It appears that I have sinned and for this I surely will wear sack cloth and grovel until my period of penitence is fulfilled.

I update R and my problem remains. Please see code snippet (as per posting guidelines) below

R 2.8.0
windows XP

> summary(data$AAMTCAREJ)
    Min.  1st Qu.   Median     Mean  3rd Qu.     Max.
     1.0    404.3   1430.0   6567.0   5457.0 327900.0
> fitglm<-glm(AAMTCAREJ~sexcat+H_AGE+SmokeCat+InsuranceCat+MedicadeCat+
+ incomegrp+racecat+MARSTATJS+EdCat+bmiNewjohn,data=data,family=Gamma(link = "inverse"))
Error: no valid set of coefficients has been found: please supply starting values
In addition: Warning message:
In log(ifelse(y == 0, 1, y/mu)) : NaNs produced

John David Sorkin M.D., Ph.D.
Chief, Biostatistics and Informatics
University of Maryland School of Medicine Division of Gerontology
Baltimore VA Medical Center
10 North Greene Street
GRECC (BT/18/GR)
Baltimore, MD 21201-1524
(Phone) 410-605-7119

On Tue, 9 Dec 2008, John Sorkin wrote:

> R 2.5

Please

1) do as the posting guide asks, and quote version numbers accurately.
2) do as the posting guide asks, and update *before* posting.

That's too old a version to support here.

> windows XP
>
> I am getting an error from glm() that I don't understand. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. N.B. 1<=AAMTCAREJ<=327900
>
>> summary(data$AAMTCAREJ)
>    Min.  1st Qu.   Median     Mean  3rd Qu.     Max.
>     1.0    404.3   1430.0   6567.0   5457.0 327900.0
>

>> fitglm<-glm(AAMTCAREJ~sexcat+H_AGE+SmokeCat+InsuranceCat+MedicadeCat+
> + incomegrp+racecat+MARSTATJS+EdCat+bmiNewjohn,data=data,family=Gamma(link = "inverse"))
> Error: no valid set of coefficients has been found: please supply starting values
> In addition: Warning message:
> NaNs produced in: log(x)

That model is not necessarily valid: the linear predictor has to be
strictly positive.  If you really know why it is applicable you will be
able to give starting values (e.g. maybe all the columns of the design
matrix are positive, in which case you will be able to find suitable
positive initial coefficients).