[R] Transforming a string to a variable's name? help me newbie...

tsunhin wong thjwong at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 23:38:10 CET 2008

Greg,

I found your suggestion very efficient! And I tried testing it,
however, it didn't work:
###start of file
rm(list=ls())

setwd("/Users/John/Documents/Research/Experiments/expt108/")

##test out 3 files only
nms <- c("019-v1-msa1.data","019-v1-msa2.data","019-v1-msa3.data")

my.data <- list()

for(i in nms) my.data[[i]] <- read.table(i)

setwd("/Users/John/Programs/R/")
save(list=ls(all=TRUE), file="Expt108Files.Rdata")
###end of file

At first, I get this error:
Expt108Files.R: unexpected symbol at
10: ,"019--v1-msa1.gazedata"

Then I renames the 3 files to the followings:
nms <- c("019v1msa1.data","019v1msa2.data","019v1msa3.data")

And I received this error instead:
Error in scan(file, what, nmax, sep, dec, quote, skip, nlines, na.strings,  :
  line 2 did not have 36 elements

Thanks!

- John