[R] Logical inconsistency

Stephan Kolassa Stephan.Kolassa at gmx.de
Wed Dec 10 18:12:09 CET 2008

Hi Emma,

unfortunately, rounding variables before taking the difference will not
solve your problem, because the *rounded* variables are subject to the
same (effectively) random internal representation. Examples:

 > round(8.3,20)-round(7.3,20)>=1
[1] TRUE
 > round(2.3,20)-round(1.3,20)>=1
[1] FALSE
 > round(8.3,1)-round(7.3,1)>=1
[1] TRUE
 > round(2.3,1)-round(1.3,1)>=1
[1] FALSE

I'm afraid you will need to think about what you really need your
comparison for and whether this problem really affects your results. For
example, if you are doing a large number of such comparisons, the effect
may only affect a few of them and basically average out (sometimes going
one way, sometimes the other), so the end results may be stable.

Good luck!
Stephan