[R] Better way to find distances between points in a set?

cgw at witthoft.com cgw at witthoft.com
Wed Dec 10 17:58:05 CET 2008

   Hah!
   I  DID do my homework first. From now on I guess I'll have to post the
   complete list of trails I followed before deciding
   I was lost. That appears to be the only way to stave off the Harpies.
   So, before I posted, and before I even wrote my toy script, I found and read
   thru  the  help file for dist(). If in fact dist() does what I want, I
   couldn't see that from either the description or the example. Or from an
   example I tried myself.
   Remember:  my Euclidean distance requires first finding the difference
   between the orthogonal components of the two points, i.e.
   (x1-x2) and (y1-y2) and then calculating the Pythagorean of those values.
   Just getting distances between the actual elements of my matrix (x and y
   components) isn't the same. And, yes, I tried 'euclidean' .
   So I would be greatful indeed if someone could confirm that, for a matrix as
   I described, where each row contains the coordinates of a single point, that
   dist() can be convinced to return the geometric euclidean distances.
   Or that it can't.
   Carl
   PS I also found which and which.max all by myself! ^_^