[R] How do I multiply labeled vectors of numbers?

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 03:51:35 CET 2008

You probably want Marc's solution but just in case note that zoo's merge
supports zero fill which means that if you represented the two as zoo
objects whose "times" are cat, dog, ...  then we would have:

File1 <- "type    n
dog        2
cat        4
horse    6"

File2 <- "type    n
horse    1
dog        3
cat        9
mouse 11"

library(zoo)

z1 <- read.zoo(textConnection(File1), header = TRUE, FUN = as.character)
z2 <- read.zoo(textConnection(File2), header = TRUE, FUN = as.character)

z <- merge(z1, z2, fill = 0)
zz <- z[,1] * z[,2]

Also note that coredata(zz) and time(zz) extract the data and times
respectively.