[R] getting ISO week

Gustaf Rydevik gustaf.rydevik at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 18:21:33 CET 2008

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 2:10 PM, Prof Brian Ripley
<ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> A slightly simpler version is
>
> format(Sys.Date(), "%V")
>

> On Thu, 11 Dec 2008, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
>
>> strftime(x, "%V")
>>
>> E.g.
>>
>> strftime(as.POSIXlt(Sys.Date()), "%V")
>>
>> is "50", and you might want as.numeric() on it.
>>
>> Note that this is OS-dependent, and AFAIR Windows does not have it.

-----

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 2:15 PM, Gabor Grothendieck
<ggrothendieck at gmail.com> wrote:
> format(d, "%U") and format(d, "%W") give week numbers using
> different conventions.  See ?strptime

Thank you both for your replies!

I'm on windows, so prof Ripleys solution does not work (why is this
OS-dependent?).
Regarding Gabor's solution, neither convention follow the ISO 8601
standard, which is used in Europe (and Sweden in particular). See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601#Week_dates .
So it seems that my function does fill a hole, however small....

I know that for me, working with week numbers, which are used quite
heavily in Sweden, have always been a major frustration.
Would it be possible to implement something similar to my solution in
base, and how should I go about making it fit in to the rest of the
date functions?

/Gustaf

--
Gustaf Rydevik, M.Sci.