[R] Principal Component Analysis - Selecting components? + right choice?

Ravi Varadhan RVaradhan at jhmi.edu
Thu Dec 11 18:30:51 CET 2008

Hi,

It is generally not the case that the best PC set, say, the top k PCs (where
k < p, p being the number of predcitors) contain the best predictor subset
in linear regression.  Hadi and Ling (Amer Stat, 1998) show that it is even
possible to have an extreme situation where the first (p-1) PCs contribute
nothing towards explaining the variation in the response, yet the last PC
alone contributes everything.   Their theorem is that if the true vector of
regression coefficients is in the direction of the j-th eigenvector (of the
correlation matrix), then the j-th PC alone will contribute everything to
the model fit, while the remaining PCs will contribute zilch.  They
illustrate this phenomenon with a "real" data set from a classic text on
regression, Draper and Smith.

Ravi.
-------

Ravi Varadhan, Ph.D.

Assistant Professor, The Center on Aging and Health

Johns Hopkins University

Ph: (410) 502-2619

Fax: (410) 614-9625

Email: rvaradhan at jhmi.edu