[R] getting ISO week

Hans W. Borchers hwborchers at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 21:01:34 CET 2008

Gabor Grothendieck <ggrothendieck <at> gmail.com> writes:

> According to the definition in ?strptime (which is not the same as the
> ISO definition):
>
> format(x, "%W") returns
>
> "Week of the year as decimal number (00–53) using Monday as the first
> day of week (and typically with the first Monday of the year as day 1
> of week 1). The UK convention."
>
> The first day of 2008 is a Tuesday which means that 2008 starts in week 0.

Yes I read that but it is still misleading and -- I think -- incorrect.
See <www.dateandtime.org/calendar> to find out that this is week 50 even
in the UK.
We would have had a lot of misplaced business meetings in our company if
the week numbers in Great Britain, Germany, and Sweden would actually be
different.

Hans Werner