[R] generate combination multiset (set with repetition)

Reuben Cummings reubano at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 03:28:44 CET 2008

Good point, I actually thought about doing some kind of sampling
before, but now I think I don't have a choice. Essentially, what I am
doing is calculating possible asset allocation possibilities, e.g.

N is the number of available assets and M is the available buckets of
money to spend on the assets. With N = 3 and M = 2, I am saying I have
a choice to buy any of 3 three assets and I can afford to make 2 such
purchases. These combinations are represented below:

  	M1 	M2
[1,]	1	1
[2,]	1	2
[3,]	1	3
[4,]	2	2
[5,]	2	3
[6,]	3	3

[1,] is saying I spend all of my money buying asset 1.

this produces the following asset allocations

  	 A1 	A2 	A3
[1,]	1	0	0
[2,]	.5	.5	0
[3,]	.5	0	.5
[4,]	0	1	0
[5,]	0	.5	.5
[6,]	0	0	1

[1,] again, is saying that my allocation is 100% asset 1.

from here, I plan to run some risk/performance metrics on the
allocations and then come up with a list of the best allocation
choices.

The sampling will come in handy to give me random asset allocations.
I've taken a statistical design of experiments class, so I am familiar
with generating factorial experiment designs.

So, how would I go about producing the random samples? And what # of
combinations should I use as the cutoff for doing a sampling instead
of testing every possible combination?