[R] weird pasting of ".value" when list is returned

markleeds at verizon.net markleeds at verizon.net
Sat Dec 13 07:54:04 CET 2008

could someone explain why the name of FPVAL gets " .value" concatenated
onto it when the code below is run and temp is returned.
I've been trying to figure this out for too long. It doesn't matter when
I put the FPVAL in the return statement. It happens regardless of
whether it's first or last.   Thanks.

f.lmmultenhanced <-
function(response, pred1, pred2)

{

         regmod <- lm(response ~ pred1 + pred2)
         lmsum <- summary(regmod)

         imbcoef<-lmsum$coefficients[2,1]
         retcoef<-lmsum$coefficients[3,1]

         imbpval<-lmsum$coefficients[2,4]
         retpval<-lmsum$coefficients[3,4]

         Fstat<-lmsum$fstatistic[1]

fpval<-pf(Fstat,lmsum$fstatistic[2],lmsum$fstatistic[3],lower=FALSE)

return(list(categrsp=response,pred1=pred1,pred2=pred2,regmod=regmod,

rest=c("FPVAL"=fpval,"IMBCOEF"=imbcoef,"RETCOEF"=retcoef,"IMBPVAL"=imbpval,"RETPVAL"=retpval)
                     ))

  }

x <- 10 + 1:100
y <- 5 +  seq(2,200,by=2)