[R] how to convert factors to numbers

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Sun Dec 14 20:15:52 CET 2008

Also you might want to use read.zoo from the zoo package
which will read the file in and will convert the dates at the same time
into a zoo object. Something like:

library(zoo)
z <- read.zoo("myfile.csv", header = TRUE, sep = ",", format = "%m/%d/%Y")

Or rather than creating files you may wish to use
the quantmod package which has facilities for directly
reading such data from the web.

On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 1:47 PM, Duncan Murdoch <murdoch at stats.uwo.ca> wrote:
> On 14/12/2008 12:38 PM, doloop wrote:
>>
>> Hello, I am relatively new to using R.  I am using R version 2.8.0.  I
>> have a
>> program that downloads stock data from Yahoo! Finance and stores it to a
>> text file on my hard drive.  The text file contains the date, opening
>> price,
>> high price, low price, closing price, volume and adjusted price (i.e.,
>> adjusted for dividends and splits).  I want to read and manipulate the
>> data
>> in R.  However, when I use read.table, it treats all of the data as
>> "factors" and I do not know how to treat the data as numbers:
>>
>>> spy<-read.table("c:\\StockData\\SPY.txt")
>>> attach(spy)
>>> names(spy)<-c("QDate","OpenP","HighP","LowP","CloseP","Vol","AdjP")