[R] How to fetch specific part from a number of Text files?

megh megh700004 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 15 10:54:23 CET 2008

Hi all,

I my c: drive I have possibly 1,000 notepad files, with .txt extension. They
are named as the dates on which they were saved i.e. 1st file name is
"Volume_4-18-2008", 2nd one is "Volume_4-21-2008", 3rd one
"Volume_4-22-2008" and so on............

Also, content of each file are in same format like :

******** content of 1st file *************
section : 1
-----       ---------      ----------    -----------
-----       ---------      ----------    -----------
-----       ---------      ----------    -----------
-----       ---------      ----------    -----------
section : 2
-----       ---------      ----------    -----------
-----       ---------      ----------    -----------
-----       ---------      ----------    -----------
-----       ---------      ----------    -----------
section : 3
-----       ---------      ----------    -----------
-----       ---------      ----------    -----------
-----       ---------      ----------    -----------
-----       ---------      ----------    -----------
section : 4

Here all files have 4-sections, just like shown here but contents within
each section (i.e. dashed line here) differs file to file.

What I have to do is I have to fetch contents of "section : 2" from each
file and then save it to a R-object, matrix of list for further analysis.

Can you ppl please tell me how to do that?

Thanks and regards,