[R] pwr.prop.test and continuity correction

Daniel Brewer daniel.brewer at icr.ac.uk
Tue Dec 16 13:01:14 CET 2008

Hi,

I am trying to sort out a discrepancy between power calculations results
between me and another statistician.  I use R but I am not sure what she
uses.  It is on the proportions test and so I have been using
pwr.prop.test.  I think I have tracked the problem down to pwr.prop.test
not using the continuity correction for the test (I did this by using
the java applet from
http://stat.ethz.ch/R-manual/R-patched/library/stats/html/power.prop.test.html).

So I was wondering whether:
1) Someone could confirm that pwr.prop.test does not use a continuity
correction in its calculation.
2) Someone could tell me either how to use pwr.prop.test or another
function to get the power of a prop.test with continuity correction.
The reason I want this is that I would normally apply the correction
when I actually used the test.

Many thanks

Dan

Daniel Brewer, Ph.D.

Institute of Cancer Research
Molecular Carcinogenesis
Email: daniel.brewer at icr.ac.uk

This e-mail message is confidential and for use by the a...{{dropped:2}}