[R] Using a covariance matrix as input to relaimpo package

Ku!Rt Kurt.Salmela at maritz.com
Tue Dec 16 21:56:40 CET 2008

By trial and error I have discovered that it works if I don't use the formula
interface in combination with a covariance matrix as input.

If the covariance matrix has the dependent variable as its left-most
variable as the relaimpo documentation suggests, then the relaimpo package
will run by simply naming the covariance matrix as the first object in the
call and not using a formula.  The downside of this is needing to create
different covariance matrices for different models.

The following will work:

# calculate covariance matrix from survey respondent data using pairwise
deletion
covmatrx =
cov(respdata[,c("V0007","V0029","V0031","V0032","V0034","V0035","V0036")],
use = "pairwise")

# try the lmg method of relative importance