[R] Shrink Trellis margins settings (when printed to png file)

Deepayan Sarkar deepayan.sarkar at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 21:45:15 CET 2008

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 8:11 AM, Mark Heckmann <mark.heckmann at gmx.de> wrote:
> Dear R-experts,
>
> I have two problems:
>
> PROBLEM (1)
> -----------
>
> I want to produce a very small png file (35 x 18 px) that contains a
> histogram without a figure region or margins, only the pure heights.
> In the base graphic system this is simple:
>
>  png(filename = "hist.png", res = 72, width=35, height=18)
>        par(mar=c(0,0,0,0), oma=c(0,0,0,0))
>        hist(rnorm(100), main="")
>  dev.off()
>
> Now I want a grid graphics output as I need the graphic as an object.
> I tried several trellis.par settings but I was not able to figure it out

You could do it this way if you really want, but a better approach
would be to directly plot the pieces you want (rather than start with
a high-level solution and get rid of the pieces you don't want). For
example:

library(lattice)
library(grid)

x <- rnorm(100)
limits <- prepanel.default.histogram(x, breaks = NULL)
## grid.newpage() # to start a new page
pushViewport(viewport(xscale = extendrange(limits$xlim),
                      yscale = extendrange(limits$ylim)))
panel.histogram(x, breaks = NULL)

-Deepayan