[R] "Error: bad value" problem

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Thu Dec 18 01:13:24 CET 2008

On 17/12/2008 5:34 PM, Richard E. Chandler wrote:
> Dear R-help,
>
> Like several other subscribers, I have recently encountered a problem
> whereby R will execute code apparently correctly and without error,
> but any subsequent command will yield "Error: bad value" so that R
> has to be killed and restarted. We have checked this out with a few
> different operating systems (Windows XP/Vista and Linux) and with
> different versions of R. We have established the following:

The symptoms you describe suggest an out of bounds read or write.
Unfortunately, I don't see the error, in R-devel or R 2.8.0.

Tracking this sort of bug down on Windows is pretty hard, because as far
as I know valgrind doesn't run on Windows, and I don't know of any
Windows equivalent that supports gcc.

So I'm not going to be able to help...other than to suggest reducing the
example to something that runs quickly, then try running it after
running gctorture().  That often flushes out hard to reproduce bugs, but
it goes very slowly...

Duncan Murdoch