[R] big data file versus ram memory

Mauricio Calvao orca at if.ufrj.br
Thu Dec 18 19:40:07 CET 2008

Hi there

I am new to R and would like to ask some questions which might not make
perfect sense. Anyhow, here they are:

1) I would like very much to use R for processing some big data files
(around 1.7 or more GB) for spatial analysis, wavelets, and power
spectra estimation; is this possible with R? Within IDL, such a big data
set seems to be tractable...

2) I have heard/read that R "puts all its data on ram"? Does this really
mean my data file cannot be bigger than my ram memory?

3) If I have a big enough ram, would I be able to process whatever data
set?? What constrains the practical limits of my data sets??

Thanks!

--
Prof. Mauricio Ortiz Calvao

Email: orca at if.ufrj.br