[R] RODBC crashes connecting to Teradata

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Dec 18 21:36:55 CET 2008

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008, Francisco Javier Perez Caballero wrote:

> Hi, I'm trying to connect to a Teradata database via RODBC on a Linux 64
> machine (Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5).  The ODBC driver is properly
> configured and queries sent via unixODBC's isql tool work properly. However,
> this is what happens when I try to connect via RODBC:
>
>> library(RODBC)
>> conn = odbcConnect("thedsn", uid="theuid", pwd="thepass")
>
> *** caught segfault ***
> address (nil), cause 'memory not mapped'
>
> Traceback:
> 1: .Call(C_RODBCGetInfo, attr(stat, "handle_ptr"))
> 2: odbcDriverConnect(st, ...)
> 3: odbcConnect("thedsn", uid = "theuid", pwd = "thepass")
>
> Possible actions:
> 1: abort (with core dump, if enabled)
> 2: normal R exit
> 3: exit R without saving workspace
> 4: exit R saving workspace
>
> Any idea of what is going on here?

Most likely a broken driver.  It seems that several do not support GetInfo
correctly: isql does not use it by default.  Debugging will show you where
the error actually was.

And if you had done your homework you would have found that answer many
times (especially in the archives of  the appropriate list, R-sig-db).