[R] 'Error: C stack usage is too close to the limit' when adding an overarching function

Jean-Michel.Perraud at csiro.au Jean-Michel.Perraud at csiro.au
Fri Dec 19 05:48:38 CET 2008

Hi,

I encountered an error of type 'C stack usage is too close to the limit', and could not find information so far to get unstuck. The error occurs when subsetting columns from a  data frame (see stack trace below). However if I step through the sequence of code found in the 'topmost' function buildCombinations the data processing is successful. I get an identical behavior on WindowsXP and an Ubuntu box. Any help/pointer to non-obvious information would be appreciated, as archives and manuals did not enlighten me so far. I'd like not to compromise the code structure just to work around this issue.

Thanks

> traceback()
5: `[.data.frame`(dataFrame, , ordering.column.names)
4: dataFrame[, ordering.column.names]
3: orderDataFrame(cvStats.long, ordering.keys)
2: findClosestCatchments(tmp, ordering.keys, attributes.column.name = attributes.column.name,
       attributes.values.column.name = attributes.values.column.name,
       n = n)
1: buildCombinations(weights = wts[1, ], bestAttributes = bestAttributes.south,
       simhyd, xv.wide.df = smaller.cvStats.south.test, n = 2)

Sys.info()
                             sysname                               release
                              "Linux"                   "2.6.24-22-generic"
                              version
"#1 SMP Mon Nov 24 19:35:06 UTC 2008"
                              machine
                             "x86_64"