[R] obtaining output from an evaluated expression

Jack Bowden jack.bowden at mrc-bsu.cam.ac.uk
Fri Dec 19 11:09:33 CET 2008

Hi

I am trying to use the deriv and eval functions to obtain the value of a
function , say  "xi-(alpha0+alpha1*gi)" , differentiated with respect to
alpha0 and alpha1, in the following way

# for gi = 0

 > dU1dtheta  <- deriv(~ xi-(alpha0+alpha1*gi), c("alpha0","alpha1"))
 > eval(dU1dtheta)
(Intercept)
 -0.2547153
attr(,"gradient")
     alpha0 alpha1
[1,]     -1      0

I want to extract the output gradient values of -1 and 0 but I don't
know how to access them. The only thing I can access is the intercept
term via.

 > eval(dU1dtheta)[1].

I'm sorry if this is too basic a question for the list, but any help
would be greatly appreciated

Jack

--
Dr Jack Bowden