[R] Print a list in columns

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sat Dec 20 22:32:16 CET 2008

Perhaps not the most elegant solution, but this seems to "work".

 > a<- rnorm(5)
 > b <- rnorm(10)
 > clis <- list(a,b)
 > dput(clis, "testfile") # writes to file
#dput works for arbitrary structures

Now pad the shorter of the vectors with NA's and "print" the result of
cbind
 > mv <-max(length(clis[[1]]),length(clis[[2]]))
 > cbind( c(clis[[1]], rep(NA, mv - length(clis[[1]]) )),
          c(clis[[2]], rep(NA, mv - length(clis[[2]]) )) )
               [,1]        [,2]
  [1,] -0.561558774  0.44756791
  [2,] -1.226817284 -0.24501794
  [3,] -0.333583965 -0.07643339