[R] Treatment of Date ODBC objects in R (RODBC)

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Mon Dec 22 19:29:33 CET 2008

Ivan Alves wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Retrieving an Oracle "Date" data type by means of RODBC (version 1.2-4)
> I get different classes in R depending on which operating system I am in:
>
> On MacOSX I get "Date" class
> On Windows I get " "POSIXt" "POSIXct" class
>
> The problem is material, as converting the "POSIXt" "POSIXct" object
> with as.Date() returns one day less ("2008-12-17 00:00:00 CET" is
> returned as "2008-12-16").

This is in a sense correct since CET is one hour ahead of GMT (two hours
in Summer). What is a bit puzzling is that

 > ISOdate(2008,12,24)
[1] "2008-12-24 12:00:00 GMT"
 > class(ISOdate(2008,12,24))
[1] "POSIXt"  "POSIXct"
 > as.POSIXct("2008-12-24")
[1] "2008-12-24 CET"
 > as.POSIXct("2008-12-24")+1
[1] "2008-12-24 00:00:01 CET"

I.e. we have two ways of converting a timeless date to POSIXct, and they
differ in noon/midnight, and in whether local timezone matters or not.

I believe Brian did this, and he usually does things for a reason....

> I have 2 related questions:
>
> 1. Is there a way to control the conversion used by RODBC for types
> "Date"? or is this controlled by the ODBC Driver (in my case the Oracle
> driver in Windows and Actual on Mac OS X)?
>
> 2. What is the trick to get as.Date() to return the _intended_ date (the
> date that the OS X environment "correctly" reads)?

Add 12 hours, maybe? (43200 seconds)

Or play around with the timezone, but that seems painful.