[R] Approximate Entropy?

Ben Bolker bolker at ufl.edu
Tue Dec 23 17:25:59 CET 2008

Stephan Kolassa wrote:

> Dear guRus,
>
> is there a package that calculates the Approximate Entropy (ApEn) of a
> time series?
>
> RSiteSearch only gave me a similar question in 2004, which appears not
> to have been answered:
> http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/R/Rhelp02a/archive/28830.html
>
> RSeek.org didn't yield any results at all.
>
> Happy holidays (where appropriate),
> Stephan

I went ahead and translated D. Kaplan's MATLAB code for this purpose into R.
Warning: it's barely tested, and I'm not sure I understand what it's doing
-- you're on your own from here ...
(it won't work if you simply cut and paste what's here, since the examples
are above the definitions
of the utility functions etc.)

## http://www.macalester.edu/~kaplan/hrv/doc/funs/apen.html

## Approximate Entropy
## Syntax

## entropy = apen( pre, post, r );

## Arguments
## pre 	An embedding of data.
## post 	The images of the data in the embedding.
## r 	The filter factor, which sets the length scale over which to compute
the approximate entropy.
## Returned Values
## entropy 	The numerical value of the approximate entropy.
## Description

## The "approximate entropy" was introduced by Pincus to quantify the
## creation of information in a time series. A low value of the
## entropy indicates that the time series is deterministic; a high
## value indicates randomness.

## The "filter factor" r is an important parameter. In principle, with
## an infinite amount of data, it should approach zero. With finite
## amounts of data, or with measurement noise, it is not always clear
## what is the best value to choose. Past work on heart rate
## variability has suggested setting r to be 0.2 times the standard
## deviation of the data.

## Another important parameter is the "embedding dimension." Again,
## there is know precise means of knowing the best such dimension, but
## previous work has used a dimension of 2. The final parameter is the
## embedding lag, which is often set to 1, but perhaps more
## appropriately is set to be the smallest lag at which the
## autocorrelation function of the time series is close to zero.

## The apen function expects the data to be presented in a specific
## format. Working with a time series tseries, the following steps
## will compute the approximate entropy, with an embedding dimension
## of 2 and a lag of 1.

## edim = 2;
## lag = 1;
## edata = lagembed(tseries,edim,lag);
## [pre,post] = getimage(edata,lag);
## r = 0.2*std(tseries);
## apen(pre,post,r);

edim <- 2
lag <- 1
edata <- lagembed(tseries,edim,lag)
im <- getimage(edata,lag)
r <- 0.2*sd(tseries)
apen(im$pre,im$post,r)

apenembed <- function(tseries,edim,lag=1,relr=0.2,r) {
  edata <- lagembed(tseries,edim,lag)
  im <- getimage(edata,lag)
  if (missing(r)) r <- relr*sd(tseries)
  apen(im$pre,im$post,r)