[R] Percent damage distribution

diegol diegol81 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 25 23:20:29 CET 2008

R version: 2.7.0
Running on: WinXP

I am trying to model damage from fire losses (given that the loss occurred).
Since I have the individual insured amounts, rather than sampling dollar
damage from a continuous distribution ranging from 0 to infinity, I want to
sample from a percent damage distribution from 0-100%. One obvious solution
is to use runif(n, min=0, max=1), but this does not seem to be a good idea,
since I would not expect damage to be uniform.

I have not seen such a distribution in actuarial applications, and rather
than inventing one from scratch I thought I'd ask you if you know one, maybe
from other disciplines, readily available in R.

Thank you in advance.

-----