[R] Percent damage distribution

diegol diegol81 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 26 16:41:24 CET 2008

>In my limited experience (we have some insurance projets), 100% can occur,
>but otherwise a beta distbribution may suit, which suggests a mixture
>distribution.  But start with an empirical examination (histogram, ecdf,
>density plot) of the distribution, since it may reveal other features.

Good idea. At this point I do not need to be so precise as to work with a
mixture distribution, but I will keep this in mind.

>The next question is 'why model'?   For such a simple problem (a
>univariate distribution) a plot may be a sufficent analysis, and for e.g.
>simulation you could just re-sample the data.

I am trying to model loss severity. One common simplified approach is to
sample from e.g. a gamma or lognormal distribution to determine the dollar
value of each loss. My problem with this approach is that I have the
individual insured amounts, so a $100,000 loss which could result from
sampling from a lognormal distribution does not seem reasonable if the
insured amount is $25,000, to put an example. That is why I thought of a
damage distribution instead.
I am not sure what you mean by using a plot analysis or re-sampling the
data.

I posted back to Ben yesterday and the post was not accepted yet, so it
probably does not show in the thread, but there I stated I was going to use
a beta distribution, so my problem is solved by now. If you want, we may
continue this conversation privately.

Many thanks.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk

-----