[R] model.matrix and missing values

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Sun Dec 28 17:17:46 CET 2008

Dear Jarrod,

If you use na.action=na.exclude in fitting the model, then you can produce
rows of NAs in the model matrix with na.resid(); e.g., for a model m,

	mm <- naresid(m$na.action, model.matrix(m))

Then if you really want to convert the rows of NAs in mm to 0s, you could
use

	mm[is.na(mm)] <- 0

I hope this helps,
 John