[R] How to step through a demo

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Tue Dec 30 00:11:57 CET 2008

On 29/12/2008 5:13 PM, Spencer Graves wrote:
> Dear Prof. Ripley:
>
>       Thanks for this.
>
>       What would need to happen to get this added to "see also" in the
> "demo" help page?

You need to convince a member of the R core team to add it.  Doing that
is easiest if you do all the work:  figure out which files need
modifying, and write reasonable modifications.  (For "reasonable", I
mean something that explains to a reader why s/he would want to follow
the link.)  Part of the work in making a change like this is thinking
about where to make it:  it doesn't make much sense to me to add it just
to the ?demo page but not the ?example page, for instance.  Should it go
somewhere else too?

The format of what you should post is less clear:  some core members
like patch files, I prefer an explanation of what to change.  Where to
post is generally fairly easy to guess:  follow up on a thread like
this, and if you don't get a response and the change doesn't get made,
post the suggestion in its own thread on R-devel.  And if you do get a
negative response, don't worry about it too much:  your posting on the
public mailing list will be part of the documentation that RSiteSearch()
will find, so you will have added value anyway.

(This message is neither a positive nor a negative response to the
actual suggestion:  I think I'd be happy to make this addition if you do
the work, but I probably won't get around to doing the work if you don't.)

Duncan Murdoch