[R] Hmisc labels and captions in latex.list()

Frank E Harrell Jr f.harrell at vanderbilt.edu
Tue Dec 30 16:35:18 CET 2008

J Michael Dean wrote:
> Thanks, Dieter, for your response shown below.
>
> library(Hmisc)
> dfr <- data.frame(x=rnorm(20),y=sample(c('male','female'),20,TRUE))
> cnt <- contents(dfr)
> latex(cnt,label="tab:mytab",caption="This is a caption")
>

> The problem is that I only want to display cnt[1] - I am simply making a
> table that shows the structure of a dataframe, and I do not want the
> variable levels from contents.
>  > class(cnt)
> [1] "contents.data.frame"
>  > class(cnt[1])
> [1] "list"
>
> When I execute your example, it does work, but if I change it to
> latex(cnt[1]...) then the caption and label do not work because
> latex.list() is executed.
>
> - Mike

What we really need is a latex method for contents.  As I usually
include latex(describe(mydata), file='') in an Sweave report I haven't
needed this.  If any others need it I'll probably write
latex.contents.data.frame.  In the meantime you can take the object
produced by contents( ) and remove the value levels components, then
pass the smaller object to latex().

Frank