[R] issue with encoding in R-2.8.1 invalid multibyte character

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Wed Dec 31 00:35:24 CET 2008

Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> Well, we don't see what you see. but if ? was hex a7, the message is
> entirely correct.  If you want to enter that, use "\xa7".

We see different things. I see  a section sign (double s) symbol. From
the symptoms, I would suspect that the terminal is set to latin-1 or -15
(both have the section sign at 0xa7) even though the system (and thus R)
is utf-8.

(Incidentally said 0xa7 is know as the "paragraph" symbol in Danish
legal texts, whereas the paragraph symbol at 0xb6 is largely unknown.)