[R] ARCH LM test for univariant time series

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Sat Feb 2 17:30:12 CET 2008

Dear Tom, Bernhard, Ruey:

      I can't get that to match Tsay's example, but I have other
questions about that.

      1.  I got the following using Tom's 'archTest' function (below):

 > archTest(log(1+as.numeric(m.intc7303)), lags=12)

    ARCH test (univariate)

data:  Residual of y1 equation
Chi-squared = 10.8562, df = 16, p-value = 0.8183

Warning message:
In VAR(s, p = 1, type = "const") :
  No column names supplied in y, using: y1, y2, y3, y4, y5, y6, y7, y8,
y9, y10, y11, y12 , instead.

           ** First note that the answer has df = 16, even though I
supplied lags = 12.

      2.  For (apparently) this example, S-Plus FinMetrics 'archTest'
function returned "Test for ARCH Effects:  LM Test.  Null Hypothesis:
no ARCH effects.  Test Stat 43.5041, p.value 0.0000.  Dist. under Null:
chi-square with 12 degrees of freedom".

      3.  Starting on p. 101, Ruey mentioned "the Lagrange multiplier
test of Engle (1982)", saying "This test is equivalent to the usual F
test for" no regression, but refers it to a chi-square, not an F
distribution.  Clearly, there is a gap here, because the expected value
of the F distribution is close to 1 [d2/(d2-2), where d2 = denominator
degrees of freedom;  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-distribution], while
the expected value for a chi-square is the number of degrees of freedom

      Unfortunately, I don't feel I can afford the time to dig into this
further right now.

      Thanks for your help.
      Spencer Graves