[R] best text editor for Linux?

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sat Feb 2 21:01:20 CET 2008

On 2 February 2008 at 20:15, Stefan Grosse wrote:
| On Saturday 02 February 2008 07:51:00 pm you wrote:
| FE> I'm using the standard Ubuntu debian repositories.
| FE> Frank
| FE>
|
| Try the 0.4.9 etch package from the project:
| http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=50231&package_id=43758&release_id=568604
|
| for gutsy the latest package is 0.4.7 which is rather old. In 0.4.8 was
| following fixed:
|
| "fixed: would not work with R 2.6" (maybe that is the problem)
|
| That is what I do not like about ubuntu, they do not make version updates even
| when some big problems are solved by the updates.

I suspect you misunderstand their promise of stability in-between bi-annual
release.  It's a compromise. If you need current updates, use Debian
unstable, or testing.

As a middle ground, I like Ubuntu and use it at work.  A similar question
came up on the Open MPI users list this week and I wrote this (indented three
spaces here):

   On Wed, Jan 30, 2008 at 09:13:28AM -0500, Sang Chul Choi wrote:
   > I am wondering which version of open mpi I should install. I am using the
   > latest version of Ubuntu. Is debian package 1.1-2.5 the relatively latest
   > version of open mpi?

   No -- and a simple way of getting selected packages from Debian
   up-to-date on Ubuntu is to

              a) add a deb-src entry to /etc/apt/sources.list that points
                 to Debian unstable (or testing)

              b) apt-get update && apt-get source $packageYouWant

              c) make the changes you need to make, it any

              d) rebuild, eg via 'dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc -tc -rfakeroot'

   which is what I do on the Ubuntu machines at work.

   Steps b) to d) can be combined by adding --compile to the apt-get
   source invocation, but I like to at least mark the local build in the
   changelog / version number.

   Hope this helps,

   Dirk (one of the Debian Open MPI maintainers)

Your approach of picking from the Ubuntu release is of course also valid. I
happy to be more familiar with Debian, so I go there for things that I may
miss in Ubuntu.  And generally speaking, it is not that many things.

Dirk