[R] best text editor for Linux?

Bill.Venables at csiro.au Bill.Venables at csiro.au
Sun Feb 3 01:57:55 CET 2008

Two small points for this discussion.

Emacs + ESS is brilliant, but it does require some investment of time for people to become comfortable with it.  You really need to grok Emacs first.  It is protable across platforms, as pointed out below, but if you are trying to get a neophyte class on side in quick time, it is not a viable option.

A little bird tells me that a Linux port of Tinn-R is being developed now.  In the longer term, this would give a great portable solution, but I have no information on progress or anticipated release date.  (And no, I won't say who is doing it...)

Anyway, just as real programmers use Linux, real neophytes use Windows, don't they?

Bill.