[R] Drawing a loess line

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 01:28:28 CET 2008

lattice has a type = "smooth" for this:

   library(lattice)
   xyplot(dist ~ speed, cars, type = c("smooth", "p"))

Or with a colored line:

   xyplot(dist + dist ~ speed, cars, type = c("p", "smooth"), col =
1:2, distribute.type = TRUE)

In ggplot2 its also a one linear:

   library(ggplot2)
   qplot(speed, dist, data = cars, geom = c("point", "smooth"))

or with a colored line:

   qplot(speed, dist, data = cars) + geom_smooth(colour = "red")