[R] How to search for packages

hadley wickham h.wickham at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 21:10:58 CET 2008

> The real answer was Task Views on CRAN (most of the OQs topics *are* already
> Task Views), so crantastic is very partial. If you have a little time and want

I think crantastic and task views solve somewhat different problems
(although I agree that crantastic should mirror the task views too).
Task views are of considerable effort to set up, and often written by
one person.  Tags on crantastic are dead simple to set up and can be
contributed to by multiple people (although I'm not yet sure what to
do about potential conflicts)

> to really draw in the masses, try doing clickable image maps from the
> Bioconductor pkgDepTools:
>
> http://bioconductor.org/packages/2.1/bioc/html/pkgDepTools.html
>
> because some of the unobtrusive short-name packages are key nodes in package
> dependency graphs. The dependency trees are very illuminating. Automating the
> updates would be positive. If you could also run against the Task View listings,

That's a good idea.  I do mean to add dependency links in both
direction, and to automate the updates I just need to get a cron job
set up.

Hadley

http://had.co.nz/