[R] how to suppress some tk dialogs

jiho jo.irisson at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 15:55:23 CET 2008

Dear List,

I noticed that, when executing R without X11 (e.g. on a remote machine
without X forwarding), when R needs to display a Tk dialog (e.g. when
presenting the list of mirrors for install.packages,or of available
packages containing help on a given keyword) it replaces it by a
simple numbered text list. I would love this behaviour to be the
default, even when I have X11, since I find it quicker and less
intrusive[1]. Is that possible?
man R, RSiteSearch and google were not helpful, it seems that
everybody is trying to get Tk to work rather than trying to suppress
it...

Thanks in advance.

[1] I am mainly using R in a simple terminal on OS X (X11 is usually
not running, so each TK dialog has to start the whole X server) or via
ssh to a remote machine (each Tk dialog has to start my local X server
and needs to be sent through the network, twice as painful). This may
give you the reason behind this seemingly strange question.

JiHO
---
http://jo.irisson.free.fr/