[R] How to search for packages

hadley wickham h.wickham at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 20:27:54 CET 2008

> I like the fact that Task Views are written by experts but the
> community aspect of crantastic is really appealing. Depending how the
> aforementioned experts feel about crantastic, and how it grows and
> scales, I would be very glad to see:
>
> - some "experts reviews" on some packages. some people considered
> experts in a field are given special credit and their review stand out
> from the rest. While community reviews are nice, I would rather have a
> two word advice from _the_ expert than a full book from a community of
> ignorants (I am voluntarily exaggerating here). Having both (good
> community reviews complemented by one expert advice) would of course
> be the ideal solution. An other solution (but that would be in
> hadley's hands) would be to have reviews in a wiki form: review text
> editable + comments.

I plan on at least implementing gravatars so that there is some way to
personalise your reviews.  I also wondered about having special flags
for package authors or R core members.

> - some tag reviews. they would essentially serve the purpose of Task
> Views but would probably be more dynamic (since the number of packages
> linked to a tag can change) and integrate with the rest.

That's a nice idea, and having some text associated with a tag would
also allow you to link to the appropriate task view.

Hadley

--
http://had.co.nz/