[R] R-Commander - pie charts menu blinded out

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Wed Feb 6 02:18:25 CET 2008

Dear Peter and Iksmax,

To elaborate slightly, the Rcmdr tries to figure out which menu items are
appropriate in a given context, and as Peter says, requires that you have at
least one factor in the active dataset before activating the pie chart menu
item; only factors will be included in the pie-chart dialog variable list. I
suppose that this approach sometimes makes it more difficult than necessary
to do some things that people legitimately want to do, but the idea is to
protect students in introductory statistics courses -- the target audience
for the Rcmdr -- from doing foolish things. (If I were really "holier than
the prophet" I would have omitted pie charts entirely!)

Regards,
 John

John Fox, Professor
Department of Sociology