[R] How to search for packages - wrap up!

Charilaos Skiadas cskiadas at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 05:26:27 CET 2008

On Feb 5, 2008, at 10:37 AM, Monica Pisica wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>

> I have to recognize that my post certainly shows my lack of skills
> in really navigating the R web page .... i am surprised that only
> one or two persons wrote me  about the "Task Views" - it is what i
> was after - although maybe too general for my lazy taste - but hei
> - it is there and certainly makes my life easier. So - Thank you
> John and Gabor and Roger for pointing this out. I cannot believe
> that i never discovered this by myself ...... If anybody takes up
> the challenge Roger set up i would love to see it ;-))

I have to say that the Task Views are a tad harder to find than I
would have expected. Namely, if someone goes to the main page:

http://www.r-project.org/

shouldn't there be a direct link to the Task Views page? Currently
you have to go through CRAN, but I would not think of going to the
CRAN link under the "Download" section, if what I was looking for was
Task Views. Task Views have nothing to do with "Download", and from a
new/potential user's perspective they have nothing to do with CRAN
either.

But perhaps I am missing something very obvious?

Haris Skiadas
Hanover College