[R] How to search for packages - wrap up!

Neil Shephard nshephard at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 13:56:53 CET 2008

I'm not sure that this would make any difference to someone considering using R.

Would they know what CRAN stands for? Probably not unless they've used
CPAN or equivalent in the past.

Would they know what a 'Task View' is? Again probably not as its not
patently obvious what it is, it doesn't "click" (at least not to my
mind if I take a step back from already knowing what a Task View is).

I think the current set up with mirrors is fine, it only takes a few
seconds to click on a mirror and find that it takes you to a page that
isn't simply for downloading software.

Discussions of how the R web-site can be improved/altered seem to crop
up periodically on the list.  At the end of the day someone (who?) has
to make the changes to the site.  R developers already sacrifice their
own time to improving the software.  If you want to see changes, then
volunteer to (I presume) the R-core team and enter into dialogue with
them.

Neil

--
"Do you really need to send me the email I just sent to you?"  - Me

Email - nshephard at gmail.com / n.shephard at sheffield.ac.uk
Website - http://slack.ser.man.ac.uk/